Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I get to see my brother soon!

I'm so excited! My big brother, one of my most favorite people ever, is coming to visit before he moves to Italy! He'll be here for about a month, and I seriously can not wait to see him. It is going to be so much fun!

On a not so fun note, I have decided to not renew my driver's license. It is an agonizing decision, but I feel it is for the best. I read some things about glaucoma last night that I never knew. I didn't know that glaucoma can cause a person's contrast sensitivty to lessen. That means that in certain lighting, even though I have a sighted eye, I am totally blind. I always thought that maybe I was imaging things, that perhaps I just wasn't concentrating enough. Turns out, I really DO have a problem with it. When I still had sight in my right eye, I saw colors differently out of each eye. I also noticed that while my left eye became "confused" in certain lighting situations, my right eye would be just fine. Of course, now that I no longer have sight in my right eye, I experience moments of total blindness on a daily basis. It's kind of nice to know that it is not just my imagination, or some lack of wills on my part, but an actual problem. Now that I have identified the problem, I can go about finding solutions, or at least things I can do to make my life easier, and lessen the number of times I experience total blindness. Now I can be prepared.

I'm going to have to apply for SSI. Although I hate to do it, I think it's the only way I will be able to get on Medicaid and gain access to rehabilitation services. Ah well... If it is the only way I can gain access to things that will make life easier, then I suppose I will have to swallow some pride and just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment